The Elis failed to secure a win in a rescheduled away match yesterday, falling to Boston University 13-8.

The Bulldogs’ attempt to avenge a 12-5 loss they suffered at the hands of the Terriers (4–4) last year seemed possible in the first half of the game. Captain and attacker Caroline Crow ’12, midfielder Ashley McCormick ’14, midfielder Cathryn Avallone ’15, attacker Devon Rhodes ’13 and attacker Jenn DeVito ’14 each recorded a goal, and the Elis were tied 5-5 tie heading into the second half. However, the Terriers turned the game in their favor by pouring in eight goals in the second half, whereas the Bulldogs added only three. Midfielder Erin Magnuson ’15, attacker Meghan Murray ’14 and Avallone each contributed a goal in the second half.

“I think we had a lot of momentum today, and we played hard the whole game,” said Avallone.

Although the defense did not show many blind spots and demonstrated a strong transition, the Terriers responded with a forceful offense, which hindered the Elis from rallying and dominating the game.

The Bulldogs struggled with ground balls and draws. Their opponent sattempted 20 more shots than they did, finishing with 38 to Yale’s 18. BU also controlled 14 of the 22 draws and collected 21 ground balls, whereas Yale ended up with only eight.

“The draws hurt us a lot because possession is the most important part of the game, and when they win the draw it makes it that much more difficult for us to score,” said Avallone.

She added that the ground balls can be game changers in a turnover situation.

The Terriers took control of the game in the second half with a great ball possession. Avallone said the team, trying to score in a rush, did not play with enough composure and make the smart decisions necessary to get back in the game.

Despite goalkeeper Erin McMullan’s ’14 10 outstanding saves,the Bulldogs eventually allowed 13 goals.

“Our defense allowed me to get comfortable and made sure that each shot I saw was contested,” McMullan said. “BU has a great offense, but our game plan was to shutdown their best player [Danielle Etrasco],” said McMullan.

She added that defender Adrienne Tarver ’14 contributed significantly to the team’s defense by limiting the Terrier’s key player, Etrasco, to only one goal.

Out of Yale’s eight goals, the freshmen and sophomore players scored more than half, proving that the team has great potential.

Avallone said the most difficult part of yesterday’s match was working through the frustration of having the fundamentals such as throwing, catching, and ground balls affect the game so much. Murray added that the team can play better, and it is looking forward to demonstrating that in future competitions.

Following three straight losses, the Elis will seek a win against archrival Harvard this Saturday at 3 p.m. in Reese Stadium.