Nearly four in five men released from Connecticut prisons in 2005 were rearrested by 2010, according to a report on recidivism released Wednesday by the state’s Office of Policy and Management.

According to the report, half of male inmates released in 2005 were back in prison with new sentences by 2010. Mike Lawlor, the state’s ndersecretary for criminal justice policy and planning, told the Hartford Courant the report establishes benchmarks and sets the stage for changes to the way probation and parole officers supervise the re-entry population.

“Although violation of probation is the number one crime for which inmates are serving time in our state, those violations are dropping and so is the re‐incarceration rate,” Lawlor told the state’s Judiciary Committee Friday.

The report found that 78.6 percent of the 14,400 Connecticut prisoners released in 2005 were re-arrested, while 49.8 returned to jail by 2010.

Recidivism is also a problem in the Elm City, police and City Hall officials have stressed in the last few years. Mayor John DeStefano Jr. noted on several occasions in the past year that around 70 percent of violent crime in New Haven comes from either narcotics trade or the re-entry population, highlighting the need to focus policing efforts on those returning to the city post-incarceration.

As part of those efforts, the New Haven Police Department is partnering with state probation and parole officers and launching several new community-policing based initiatives to better supervise the re-entry population, NHPD spokesman David Hartman said.

Last Friday, the Office of Policy and Management released a report showing that Connecticut’s crime rate is at a 44-year low.