Tacogate gets complicated. East Haven Mayor Joe Maturo is coming under more fire for his response to questions on Friday about why he chose to appoint a Puerto Rican man and not an Ecuadorean to serve on a citizens commission looking into alleged racism in the police department. “I brought in a Latino,” Maturo says in a video posted by the New Haven Register. “Is he not dark enough for you, light enough for you?” Most East Haven Latinos are of Ecuadorean descent.

More on East Haven. An online petition calling on Maturo to dismiss East Haven Police Department Chief Leonard Gallo has gathered 14,500 signatures as of Sunday, WSFB-3 reported. Meanwhile, the New York Times wrote an editorial last week calling on Maturo himself to resign after he said he “might have tacos” to support the Latino community.

Beat Harvard. In case you want us to beat Harvard in something, the American Red Cross at Yale’s Beat Harvard Blood Drive starts today and runs through Thursday from 1 to 6:30 p.m. at the Afro- American Cultural Center.

Dwight Hall in action. Today the Yale Homelessness and Hunger Action Project will start hosting 12 homeless men to stay for a week at the Parish House of the Center Church on the Green.

Sisterhood starts now! Ladies, listen up: sorority bids will be handed out today in the Woolsey rotunda from 12 to 2 p.m.

Whose cuisine will reign supreme? Yale Dining hosted prelims of The Final Cut in the residential colleges Sunday. Winners advanced to next month’s Student Culinary Championship.

Bad news Bysie. Former Secretary of the State Susan Bysiewicz ’83 announced on Friday that her campaign raised over $273,000 in the fourth quarter of 2011, giving her nearly $900,000 cash on hand. By comparison, her principal opponent, U.S. Rep. Chris Murphy raised over $700,000 from October to December, and has $2.5 million cash on hand.

A new combination. This week, AIDS Walk New Haven will sell condoms and cocoa packs to be delivered in support of those affected by HIV/AIDS in New Haven.

Froyo meltdown. A tipster reported that the York Street favorite Flavors ran out of nearly all flavors of Froyo on Sunday evening.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1969 The Yale College faculty vote to deny credit to ROTC programs of study.