Tacogate 2012. East Haven Mayor Joe Maturo landed in hot water on Wednesday after he responded to questions about how he might support his town’s Latino community by saying he “might have tacos” when he went home. He went on to clarify that he might also have spaghetti, given his Italian heritage. The comments came one day after the arrest of four East Haven police officers accused of systematic mistreatment of the city’s Latino residents. A Facebook group has sprung up calling for Maturo’s resignation — in one day, it grew to over 400 members.

Text tips. Yale Police Department Chief Ronnell Higgins tweeted Wednesday to introduce YaleTip, a new anonymous mobible text tipoff system. The new service — available by texting yaletip and a message to the YPD at 67283 — processes messages through a third party, thereby protecting the identity of tipsters.

Here to stay. The School of Management faculty voted Monday to re-approve the accelerated J.D./M.B.A. joint-degree, offered in conjunction with the Law School. Andrea McClure, SOM faculty recruiting coordinator, said the faculty voted unanimously to continue offering the joint deree as a permanent program.

New additions. The Yale University Art Gallery has added nine porcelain pieces by New Fairfield, Conn. artist Jean Mann to its permanent collection, the Danbury News Times reported.

Beginnings. Former U.S. Rep. Christopher Shays officially entered the race for the Republican nomination to the U.S. Senate seat currently occupied by Sen. Joseph Lieberman ’64 LAW ’67. He will face off against millionaire Linda McMahon for the nod. McMahon, the former World Wrestling Entertainment executive, lost to Sen. Richard Blumenthal LAW ’73 in 2010.

Baby shower. The Yale College Council hosted a party at Box 63 on Wednesday to complement worldwide exuberance surrounding the birth of Beyoncé’s and Jay-Z’s new baby, Blue Ivy Carter.

Someone’s in trouble. Ward 22 Alderwoman Jeanette Morrison showed up three minutes late to her first meeting as a member of the new Board’s Finance Committee, the New Haven Independent reported.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1967 Members of Prof. Robert Cook’s Ezra Stiles college seminar vote to award everyone in the seminar grades of “100” for the semester. Ten students vote in favor of the grade, while two abstain.