THE NEWS

• A $5 million donation to the University in December for the expansion and renovation of Hendrie Hall will enable the project to resume soon.

As administrators reevaluate their fundraising objectives in the wake of the five-year Yale Tomorrow campaign, which concluded June 30, 2011, Yale College Dean Mary Miller and Yale School of Music Dean Robert Blocker have declared the $45 million renovation of Hendrie as one of their main goals. University President Richard Levin said Thursday that the project has raised more than half its needed funds and that he is optimistic about future donations.

• The University and city have been busy cleaning up streets and walkways after the first major snowfall of the year this past Saturday. The snow, which totalled roughly eight inches and fell for about 14 hours beginning early Saturday morning, posed few significant problems for the Elm City. To aid the city’s cleaning efforts, Mayor DeStefano Jr. declared a snow emergency. A parking ban went into effect downtown from 2 a.m. to 6 a.m. Sunday to allow the Department of Public Works the clear the area.
  • The Yale School of Medicine is launching a campaign today to increase their clinical research volunteer rate. The Yale Center for Clinical Investigation (YCCI), created in Jan. 2006 specifically for the purpose of supporting research and training across Yale’s medical campus, is formally beginning a “community-based research and engagement program” to increase the number of volunteers participating in clinical research. The campaign — the largest that the YCCI has ever organized — aims to reach New Haven residents and Yalies alike through a new website and by reaching out to community organizations.

THE WEATHER

High of 48 degrees, low of 40 degrees, freezing rain.

THE FOOD

In the colleges

Breakfast: Steelcut Oats, Chef’s Choice Hot Cereal, Waffle Bar, Bacon Corn Muffin

Lunch: Creamy Tomato & Roasted Garlic Soup, Wonton Soup, Hoisin Tofu w/Bean Sprouts & Spinach, Ginger-Scallion Stir-Fried Chicken, Panna Cotto, Nachos Bar, Turkey & Bacon Zep, Spicy Roast Beef Sandwich, Steakhouse French Fries, Sautéed Spaghetti Squash, Spinach with Cinnamon Citrus Vinaigrette, Chickpea, Peppers, Olives & Charmoula, Tabbouleh, Plain Brownie

Dinner: St. Louis Style BBQ Spareribs, Chicken Santa Fe, Tofu Parmigiana, Nachos Bar, Classic Grilled Cheese, O’Brien Potatoes, Mideast Beans & Spinach, Spinach with Cinnamon Citrus Vinaigrette, Chickpea, Peppers, Olives & Charmoula, Tabbouleh, Lemon Cake Ring with Lemon Glaze

In Commons

Breakfast: Maple Flavored Organic Oatmeal, Waffle Bar, Western Style Scrambled Eggs, Omelets To-Order, Buttermilk Pancakes, Cage-Free Scrambled Egg Whites, Cage-Free Scrambled Eggs, Home Fries, Bacon Corn Muffin

Lunch: Chicken Rice Soup, Southwest Black Bean Soup, Spinach & Gruyere Tart, Fajita Beef, Portabella Fajita, Penne, Organic Tomato Sauce, Alfredo Sauce, Chefs Choice All-Natural Burger, Herb Marinated Chicken Breast, Garden Burger, Chinese Marinated Tofu, Pepperoni Pizza, Chef’s Choice Pizza, Cheese Pizza, Vegetable Fried Rice, Jasmine Rice, Beef Lo Mein, Vegetable Curry, Szechuan Tofu Stir Fry, Chickpeas & Tomato Pita Sandwich, Chef’s Choice Fries, Spanish Rice, Sautéed Carrots With Dill, Roasted Sweet Potato Salad, Tabbouleh, Plain Brownie