Their trip to the North Country began with a blizzard, a delayed game and a seven-hour power outage at their hotel.

Things continued to look bleak for the men’s hockey team when they faced a 3–1 deficit with eight minutes left in the second period against St. Lawrence (8–11–3, 4–5–1 ECAC), the ECAC’s 10th-place team. But Yale (8–6–2, 5–3–1) came back to salvage a 3–3 tie that dropped them to sixth place in the conference standings.

St. Lawrence jumped on Yale early in the game with a goal from Pete Child putting the Saints up 1–0 just 1:38 into the first period.

“They scored right off the bat, so we were on our heels right away,” head coach Keith Allain ’80 said in a press release. “Our guys did a great job of battling back. This is a tough place to play.”

The Bulldogs regained some momentum when forward Andrew Miller ’13 scored with only two seconds remaining in the first period.

But the Elis momentum would not last. On one of their six power plays, St. Lawrence’s Greg Carey scored to give his team a 2–1 lead. Carey would strike again only seven minutes later to put Yale in a 3–1 hole.

Behind netminder Jeff Malcolm ’13, who recorded 26 saves on the night, the Elis held the Saints at three and began mounting their comeback. A little less than three minutes into the third period, Kevin Peel ’12 put in a power play goal to bring the Elis within one. It was the only time Yale’s normally robust power play units converted on the night despite seven opportunities.

Then, with less than five minutes remaining in the game, forward Clinton Bourbonais ’14 scored the goal that would eventually send the contest to overtime.

“Clint’s goal was the result of a great sustained offensive zone shift by that line. [Antoine Laganiere ’14] and [Trent Ruffolo ’15] did a great job on the fore-check to keep pucks alive. Both of them were involved in getting Clint the puck in the slot. His shot went high glove side,” Allain said.

But in overtime, despite controlling the run of play, the Elis could not capitalize to take the win. Yale recorded four out of the five shots on target but St. Lawrence goalie Matt Weninger managed to keep the puck out of the net.

Sunday afternoon, the Elis will be traveling to Clarkson to make up Friday night’s cancellation. The puck drops at 4 p.m.