Mark Schoofs ’85, a senior editor at ProPublica, has been appointed to teach the journalism seminar English 467 this spring, the English Department announced in an email this morning.

Schoofs replaces Jill Abramson, who left the Yale faculty to become executive editor at The New York Times in September. He has more than 20 years of experience as a journalist and an editor, working as an investigative reporter for the Wall Street Journal and a staff writer for The Village Voice and reporting from more than 25 countries. Schoofs won the Pulitzer Prize in 2000 for international reporting for a series he wrote on AIDS in Africa. He currently serves as a senior editor at ProPublica, a non-profit online news organization devoted to investigative reporting.

Besides teaching English 467, which is the class students must take to enter the Yale Journalism Initiative, Schoofs will mentor Yale Journalism Scholars to prepare them for future internships and careers in journalism.

“Our students will benefit immensely from working with such an acclaimed and talented writer, someone with vast experience in domestic and international reporting, and in writing about science and public policy,” the English Department wrote in its email.

Steven Brill ’72 LAW ’75 teaches English 467 in the fall semester.