Michael Morand ’87 DIV ’93 — a former alderman and chair of the chamber of commerce – says he is used to life a life in front of cameras. But this week, Morand is showing some photography skills of his own.

From 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Morand, currently OPAC’s director of state communications and special projects, hosted a reception for his photo exhibit titled “@Mimo CT :: btl.” in the New Haven Pulic Library. “Btc,” or “behind the camera,” is the central theme for Morand’s show; he said that rather than being photographed, this exhibit is his chance to show the images that he captures of New Haven.

“No other 20 square mile patch has as much going for it,” Morand said. “This is a magnificent way to flex the diversity of the community.”

The exhibit features over 60 photographs of New Haven landmarks, scenery, and people – many of which feature parts of the Yale campus, including shots of Harkness Tower and Beineck Pla. Morand said he chose to display his work in the public library because it is “the one institution that serves everyone.”

The event drew a crowd of at least 60 guests from the Yale and New Haven communities, and those interviewed said they enjoyed Morand’s work.

“He captures a lot of different people and places, which makes the work special,” said Robert Fort, a resident of New Haven.

Others said that given Morand’s dedication to the Elm City, his exhibit was particularly fitting.

Janna Wagner ’95 said that Morand has always “been an advocate for the city,” and his work showcases what is unique and interesting. Morand manages the University’s state and municipal government relations and is a member of the New Haven Public Library board.