HackYale, an open lecture series sponsored by the Yale College Council, aims to teach Yale students how to become successful entrepreneurs. And lots of Yalies must want to be the next Mark Zuckerberg, since within two hours of the email sent out by YCC, 250 people registered for the capped course.

Over the course of the semester, HackYale‘s team of William Gaybrick LAW ’12, Bay Gross ’13, Brennan Moore, and Max Pommier ’14 will teach students the foundations of web development and application design, covering HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Ruby on Rails, and Node.js.

This is not YCC’s first foray in developing web technology. Last year, YCC created the App Challenge to provide a platform for students to showcase their talents and improve the lives of undergraduates. YCC Vice President Omar Njie ’13 said he thinks HackYale can spur further innovation.

“HackYale will address the void in basic web development and programming resources available at Yale, and, perhaps, most importantly cater to a crowd with little to no previous experience in the field,” Njie said.

According the the HackYale website :

As interest in tech entrepreneurship has grown on campus, the demand for web developers with modern skill sets has far outpaced the supply. This course intends to address that discrepancy by equipping students with a foundation in web development and application design. In short, participating students will graduate with the skills and knowledge they need to build fast, scalable, and attractive web applications.

The weekly lecture series begins next Wednesday, October 4th at 8:00 p.m.