Director of the Office of International Students and Scholars Ann Kuhlman sent an email saying the flyers from the group Students for an Even Better Yale were likely a “poorly conceived” joke and should not make international students feel any less welcome at the University. The flyers said that Yale was “overrun with international students.”

The News was named one of the gutsiest campus newspapers of 2011 by Mother Jones because of Cokey Cohen’s ’12 blog column last year about James Franco’s Twitter feed. He responded by tweeting a photograph of himself with “F–k the Yale Daily News” scrawled across it.

Harvard’s endowment returned 21.4 percent in the fiscal year that ended June 30, growing the largest fund in higher education to $32 billion, according to a press release from Harvard Public Affairs and Communications. The gains bring the Crimson endowment to just shy of its pre-recession value.

The Yale Starcraft team had a strong showing in its second tournament of the year Thursday night. In their 3-1 victory over Northeastern University, the Bulldogs notched two victories as Protoss.

Yale administrators paid a visit on Monday to the training ground for sailors at the Naval Submarine Base in Groton, Conn. “We met with talented personnel who gain incredible responsibility at a young age. … I believe that there will be Yale students who will seek to be leaders in the U.S. Navy and will fulfill that aspiration via NROTC,” Yale College Dean Mary Miller said.

Moose on Pirate violence. Three people were taken away in ambulances after the Pierson versus Stiles intramural men’s soccer and coed football games Thursday. During the soccer game, a Pierson sophomore broke his collarbone. Then, at the coed football game, a Stilesian hurt his shoulder and another Piersonite dislocated his own.

Payne Whitney is playing host to another fair today, this time for international opportunities. The event will be held from 1 to 3 p.m.

Capture the flag. The annual Ezra Stiles upperclassmen versus freshmen capture the flag game took place on Old Campus Thursday night. Upperclassmen won for the second year in a row.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1964 An “orange juice crisis” stemming from improperly mixed juice too high in orange concentrate ends as dining hall officials admit their mistakes.

YALE DAILY NEWS