Burglary attempt on high. An attempted armed burglary occurred at the Sigma Phi Epsilon house on High Street late Tuesday evening, SigEp brothers said. Yale Police Department Lt. Brian Logan said officers found a knife discarded in the backyard, which may have belonged to the suspect. Also found were items from brothers’ rooms, including a checkbook.

Third again. Yale was ranked behind Princeton and Harvard in the latest iteration of U.S. News & World Report’s Best Colleges rankings in the national university category. This is the ninth year Yale has come in third, but Princeton rose from second place to tie Harvard for first.

Postgrad. Hartford-New Haven was ranked the top city for recent college graduates in a list compiled by CareerRookie and Apartments.com and posted on the Huffington Post.

Tailgate. The University has tightened up tailgating rules. Now students will get wristbands determining whether they are over or under 21 and can drink alcohol. All student tailgates will be shut down by halftime.

Yup, we are. At Robert Farris Thompson’s ’55 GRD ’65 “New York Mambo: Microcosm of Black Creativity” lecture Tuesday morning, Thompson asked students: “Have any of you seen the Lambada? I can’t even show it to you. Rick Levin would fire me for public indecency. Maxixe is another dance I want to show you but I know the News will talk about it tomorrow.”

… And we’re done. Senior schedules are due at 5 p.m. today. Get nostalgic for your last fall shopping period ever.

Initiated. Branford freshman initiation Tuesday night involved secret speeches inside Harkness Tower, dozens of boxes of pizza and obscenities directed at Jonathan Edwards as they ran through the rival college’s courtyard. Freshmen were told that they needed to be in their rooms at 8:30 p.m. for a fire inspection.

[Insert artist’s name] FOR SPRING FLING!! The Yale College Council is soliciting applications for members of the Spring Fling Committee. Applications are due a week from today at 9 p.m.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1969 Male students are throwing footballs and frisbees on Old Campus “testing the athletic prowess of their roommates.” Within the past week female students arrived on campus for the first time.

YALE DAILY NEWS