Goodbye shopping. Hello real work. Shopping period is coming to a close. Freshman schedules are due at 5 p.m. today. Sophomores and juniors have to turn in schedules by Tuesday and seniors by Wednesday.

After serving more students than intended, the Ezra Stiles and Morse college dining halls are now closed to students from outside colleges before 6:30 p.m., according to an email from Stiles Master Stephen Pitti and Morse Master Frank Keil. Sundays remain “family night.” The extra people have “put a very significant burden on staff as well as on the colleges’ common spaces.”

Registered in New Haven? Get ready to vote Tuesday, when the Democratic primaries take place. The mayoral race and the aldermanic races for Wards 2, 9 and 22 are hotly contested.

In preparation for those elections, Ward 2 aldermanic candidate Douglas Bethea marched around his neighborhood with a band early Saturday afternoon, waking some Yalies in off-campus abodes. Bethea led a contingent that included drummers from members of his youth program, the Nation Drill Squad and Drum Corps.

Smart moose. Ezra Stiles won the 2010-’11 Sheffield Prize Cup, according to an email from Master Stephen Pitti. He wrote that the award is given to the college with the “the highest standing in scholarship in courses in science, mathematics, and engineering.”

Master’s Art. Branford Master Elizabeth Bradley invited Brandfordians to submit pieces of art to fill one of the coveted “many bare walls” of the Master’s House. Submissions are due Oct. 15.

A house divided. The stair doors in the Swing Space dorm are, as of Friday, locked and accessible through a card reader. This move separates the building’s undergraduate housing and Yale Law School space even further.

In her email to Jonathan Edwards students, Master Penelope Laurans took time to remember Stacey Sanders ’98, who died in the Twin Towers. “Stacey and I had many conversations before she graduated about her future,” Laurans wrote. “We remember her lost promise today and renew ourselves as best we can in the work of the world in her memory and honor.”

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

2001 After the previous day’s terror attacks, many Yale events are canceled, though most classes meet. University President Richard Levin spends the day responding to calls and emails from community members, Deputy Secretary Martha Highsmith said.

YALE DAILY NEWS