Last night Toad’s Place sent an email announcing their “Hurricane Saturday Night Dance Party!!!” but with the threat of Irene becoming very real, it now looks as if the party will not go on.

In an email to undergraduates this evening Yale College Dean Mary Miller wrote — in a parenthetical — that “the New Haven Police Chief has indicated that the party advertised by Toad’s will not occur.”

Even though Toad’s email said nonchalantly that “the winds & rain should not be that bad before 2am,” the dance party was set to start at 11 p.m. That’s the same time tropical winds with gusts between 39 and 73 miles per hour are supposed to hit New Haven.

Miller echoed Vice President and University Secretary Linda Lorimer in the rest of her email titled “Take the Hurricane Seriously!” She encouraged students to stay inside away from windows, adding: “Remember that cell phone systems are easily overloaded: use texts to assure family and friend of your safety.”

Also of note, Miller had the following bit of information for students with cars on campus:

If you have a car in an open lot, Yale is making available at no cost until Monday morning space in the following Yale parking lots: Pierson Sage, the ones next to Ingalls Rink and the Yale Health Plan, Howe Street, and Chapel and York. Cars will need to be removed by 7 am Monday or they will be towed since staff and faculty will be returning.

Update: 1;38 a.m.

We’re late to the game on this one, but Toad’s announced its closure in an email at 9:52 p.m., writing “Irene is roarin and we are soarin…”