While all “parties” — defined as social gatherings that include more than the residents of a suite — are prohibited on Old Campus today, according to an e-mail sent by Dean of Student Affairs Marichal Gentry yesterday, an exception is being made for gatherings held by freshman counselors.

FroCos will host events with snacks and (non-alcoholic) beverages for their freshmen in Old Campus dorms this afternoon, said Justin Lowenthal ’11, a freshman counselor for Ezra Stiles.

“The idea is to have hubs in the freshman counselor suites for food and drink, because freshmen cannot congregate elsewhere,” Lowenthal said, “which will prevent them from feeling that they need to hide elsewhere or drink excessively or make choices that might damage their health.”

In Stiles, for example, “a ton of drinks and snacks” will be available for freshmen from about 1:30 p.m. onward, Lowenthal said. While there is no formal gathering planned, freshmen will be able to stop by throughout the day, he said.

Gentry sent an e-mail to all students Monday afternoon saying that parties in individual student rooms on Old Campus would not be allowed during Spring Fling. In an e-mail to FroCos earlier today, he clarified the University’s policy, calling the FroCo events “important and useful functions” that the University “fully support[s].”

Gentry added that while Yale police will check out any “wild party” and prevent illegal drinking if they see it, they will not break up the freshman counselor events.