Three witnesses testified in New Haven Superior Court Wednesday against Lishan Wang, the accused killer of Yale doctor Vajinder Toor.

The witnesses appeared as part of the probable cause trial against Wang, who has been charged with killing Toor in April 2010. Toor was shot multiple times outside of his condominium in Branford. The three witnesses, all women, outlined the prosecution’s argument before describing the setting for the alleged homicide.

A probable cause hearing is not standard in a murder trial, but Wang — who chose to represent himself in court — requested it, the New Haven Independent reported. It will be up to the judge to determine if there is sufficient evidence to support a murder charge and bring the case to a real trial.

Wang is charged with murder, carrying weapons in a motor vehicle, criminal attempt to commit murder, possession of a handgun with no permit and unlawful discharge of a firearm.

In May, Wang told Branford police officers that he was at the scene just before Toor was shot. He also apologized for what had happened. Although this does not represent a legal confession, the statement is admissible evidence in court.

Wang is originally from China and, although he speaks English with some degree of fluency, he has used a Mandarin interpreter during some parts of the legal proceedings.