Despite holding the lead after Saturday’s racing, the No. 3 women’s sailing team finished second at the Women’s President’s Trophy on Sunday for the second weekend in a row.

Yale could not hold onto its lead and finished five points behind Connecticut College. The women’s team now has placed in the top three in each of its five regattas this spring. Meanwhile, the No. 8 coed team grabbed fifth at the Marchiando Friis Team Race and sixth at the Admiral Alymer’s Trophy.

Four sailors from the women’s team traveled to Boston, Mass. for the Women’s President’s Trophy on the Charles River. In the A division, skipper Claire Dennis ’13 and crew Heather May ’13 took Saturday by storm and finished with two second-place and three first-place finishes. Similarly, the B division boat of Genoa Warner ’12 and Stephanie Schuyler ’12 fought through challenging conditions to earn two wins amongst four top-threes in their six races. The strong performances gave the Bulldogs the overall lead and the advantage in each division. May credited the teammate mentality as the reason for their success.

“For Claire and I, we went into this regatta with no pressure,” May said. “We went in with a practice mindset.”

But Sunday brought more tough conditions, and the Bulldogs could not hold onto their overall lead. Dennis and May were unable break into the top-three in any of Sunday’s four races. Still, the pair managed to hold onto its divisional lead and top the A division by seven points. The B division boat of Warner and Schuyler failed to finish in the top-four in their four races. Unlike their teammates, the tough day pushed them out of the top spot in the B division and relegated the pair to fourth. As a result, the Elis dropped to second in the overall standings with 95 points, a mere five shy of first-place Connecticut College.

The coed team sent Cam Cullman ’13, Joseph Morris ’12, Chris Segerblom ’14, Amanda Salvesen ’14, Blair Belling ’11 and Elizabeth Brim ’11 to the Marchiando Friis Team Race. Saturday, the team competed on Mystic Lake and used the shifty conditions to its advantage, finishing 8–4.

“We had a good day,” Morris said. “We beat some of the better teams and maybe had one or two losses that we shouldn’t have had.”

The second place finish moved the Elis into the gold fleet for Sunday’s racing along with the other top-four teams from Mystic Lake and the top-four teams that competed at MIT on Saturday. Sunday’s racing took place on the Charles River, but the Bulldogs were unable to replicate the same success that they had found at Mystic Lake and finished the day 7–7. The .500 record put the Elis in a tie for fourth with No. 12 Tufts and No. 7 Brown. The tie-breaking procedure pushed Brown ahead of the Bulldogs and gave Yale a fifth-place finish.

“I don’t think that the conditions really affected how we did,” Morris said. “We had a pretty good morning. In the afternoon, we took a loss on consistency and starting and [also a lack] of being confident and staying calm during the races.”

Another group of sailors made their way to Massachusetts Maritime for the Admiral Aylmer’s Trophy. Skipper Emily Billing ’13 and crew Margot Benedict ’12 represented Yale in the A division. The pairing earned 12 top-10s in the 14 races for a 10-place finish in the division. Marlena Fauer ’14 and Eugenia Custo Greig ’14 started off with three firsts and two seconds in the first seven races. But their strong early performance tailed off slightly on Sunday, and the two ended up second in the B division.

“It was harder to catch up and we didn’t do as good of a job starting on Sunday as we did on Saturday,” Custo Greig said. “If you started in the back, your race would end up being guided by what other people were doing because you were trapped between boats and you weren’t able to make your own calls.”

This weekend, the coed team will compete at the New England Dinghy Championships, at the 73rd Oberg Trophy and at Yale’s McNay Family Sailing Center in the Short Beach Invitational. The women’s team will travel to the Coast Guard Academy for the Women’s Emily Wick and Shrew Trophies.