It may not have been as dramatic as the tiebreak win against Harvard, but for the second consecutive year the men’s golf team won the Princeton Invitational. It marked the first time the Bulldogs won a tournament since that thrilling victory over the Crimson last April.

Sam Bernstein ’14 and Thomas McCarthy ’11 finished first and second individually, with scores of five and three shots under par, respectively. And at the end of the second day, the Yale squad was the only team in the field of 12 that averaged below par, at -4. Penn, which placed second, was six strokes behind the Bulldogs.

Bernstein, who has been among the top finishers for Yale all season long, expressed his experience regarding collegiate competition not as one of handling outside pressure but finding motivation.

“After a hard week of a Yale courseload it’s nice to get outside,” Bernstein said. “In your own little bubble, nothing else can divert your attention.”

Bradley Kushner ’13 said that the Springdale Golf Club was a short course, which required patience in order to have success. It is a style typical of older courses, as Springdale was designed in 1915.

“Springdale … demands excellent shot making and strategy,” he said. “We are a very cerebral team. We are good at thinking and planning our golf shots.”

Kushner finished in 18th on Sunday. Bernstein — the overall first place finisher for the tournament — said keeping the ball in play was critical to having success on the course. His more experienced teammates’ continual emphasis on “staying patient,” held particularly true for Springdale.

But Bernstein was quick to emphasize the relative difficulty of a course like Galloway National, the location of this year’s Ivy Championship. This weekend provided a possible glimpse of what that tournament could look like, as seven of the Ivy League teams were competing at Springdale.

“Anything around par will be a good score,” he said. “Of course, it’s all based on conditions. It’s great to win as many of these events that we can, but our season is defined by the Ivy Championship.”

The Bulldogs will return to competition this Saturday at the Century Intercollegiate in Purchase, New York.