As current Spring Fling Chair and YCC representative, James Campbell ’13 has been working to improve student musical events on campus, and expanding these opportunities is one of his main goals as next year’s YCC events director.

In the coming year, Campbell said he hopes to work with students and administrators alike to enrich campus events by expanding the diversity of available venues. He said he also wants to create a supplement to the YCC’s student organization handbook that would help student groups plan successful events by providing information about event logistics such as hiring security.

“I hope to use YCC to reach out and cooperate with more student groups on campus,” Campbell said.

As a dedicated member of the Baker’s Dozen, Campbell brings his interest in music to the Spring Fling Committee and hopes promote the music scene at Yale by encouraging concerts that would feature outside artists as well as Yale bands.

While Campbell takes his work seriously, he also knows how to have fun, Pete Croughan ’12, a fellow Spring Fling Committee member, said.

“Having a fun attitude about it and taking your cues of what people think is fun is really important,” Campbell said.

Moreover, having had personal experience taping together white poster paper to form a projection screen for a Baker’s Dozen event, he said he understands the obstacles that music ensembles face in securing appropriate technology for concerts. He said he hopes to work with UOFC to increase the technological resources and venues available for student groups.

Students should not have to compete financially with society and alumni groups for spaces such as the Sterling Memorial Library Memorabilia room, said Campbell. As this year’s Baker’s Dozen Rush Manager, he worked with the late University librarian Frank Turner GRD ’71 to allow student musical groups to perform in the venue once a year for only the cost of security, a policy he said he wants to keep in place.

“He’s completely capable and qualified and is a pleasure to work with,” Croughan said. “He doesn’t take himself too seriously but he knows how to get things done professionally … The result is always phenomenal.”

Campbell is a history major and has a dog named Gus.