Yale College Dean Mary Miller said that administrators believe they have not violated Title IX in a Wednesday night email to parents of undergraduates.

“We believe we have been in compliance with both the letter and the spirit of Title IX,” she wrote, “and we plan to cooperate fully with the OCR’s inquiry.”

The message came shortly after Miller sent an email to students about the federal investigation into allegations of a hostile sexual climate at Yale.

Read the full text of her message to parents below.

Dear Yale College Parents:

Many of you have seen the recent news reports regarding a complaint that was filed against Yale University with the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights (OCR), alleging that Yale is in violation of Title IX. Yale has received formal notification of OCR’s intention to investigate, although at this point we do not have any specific information about the timing or scope of the investigation. We believe we have been in compliance with both the letter and the spirit of Title IX, and we plan to cooperate fully with the OCR’s inquiry.

I can also say that what I have heard about the substance of the complaint does not reflect the Yale that I know. Moreover, as a student who helped to co-educate my undergraduate institution; as an academic who has both experienced sexism and championed diversity and equality in my field; and as a parent, the developments of the last few days have troubled me professionally and personally. I plan to ensure that the University takes this complaint as an opportunity for self-examination, and as a chance to learn and improve. Just as Yale does not and will not tolerate sexual misconduct, we must continue to nurture a culture of civility and inclusion where every member of our community feels safe and secure.

I hope I have been able to provide some reassurance. I have already communicated with Yale College students, and plan to be in regular touch with them throughout this investigation. Similarly, I have reached out to all Yale College faculty to enlist their continued attention in creating a supportive learning environment for their students. I will also provide periodic updates to you as the process moves forward. In the meantime, if you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to be in touch.

Regards,

Mary Miller

Dean of Yale College

Sterling Professor of History of Art