The men’s hockey team is still in third place, according to the latest USCHO and USA Today polls. On the upside, it has claimed first on the PairWise rankings, which determine seeding for the national tournament. They will next hit the ice March 11 in the ECAC quarterfinals.

Yalies will make a good showing as recipients of the 2010 National Medal of Arts and National Humanities Medal, which will be given out Wednesday, according to a White House press release. Yale affiliates receiving National Medal of Arts awards include founder of the Yale Repertory Theatre and former dean of the Yale School of Drama Robert Brustein DRA ’51 and Meryl Streep DRA ’75. Sterling Professor of Hispanic & Comparative Literature Roberto González Echevarría will receive a National Humanities Medal.

Also in awards: Sejal Hathi ’13 was named one of the “Women Deliver 100,” a list of “the hundred most inspiring people who have delivered for girls and women” created by the organization Women Deliver. Hathi founded “Girls Helping Girls,” which pairs girls in the United States with others in developing countries.

Susan Howe won the University’s Bollingen Prize in American Poetry, according to a press release. “Susan Howe has given American poetry a new voice and a new language,” Judges wrote.

James Franco GRD ’16 got angry at the News Tuesday, posting a photo of himself to his Twitter with the words “F— the Yale Daily News” scrawled over it in red. Commenters pointed to a post on the Cross Campus blog criticizing his Twitter as the provocation. See the response to Franco at yaledailynews.com

No smoking. The Davenport College Council sent an e-mail to the college asking people to “refrain from smoking on the benches directly underneath room windows.”

Harvard wants big bucks. Harvard University is in the early stages of a multi-billion dollar fundraising campaign, The Harvard Crimson reported.

Stranger than fiction. Economics professor Robert Shiller e-mailed students in his “Financial Markets” class asking them to suggest titles for a book he’s working on, tentatively titled “Finance and the Good Society.” Although he said “even silly titles are welcome,” he added that he’s “thinking of a less freaky title than [‘Freakonomics’].”

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1963 The Weavers — billed as “America’s Most Popular Folk Singers” — perform in Woolsey Hall at 8:30 p.m.

YALE DAILY NEWS