Branford Master Steven Smith may be hanging up his boots and retiring from his Master duties next year, but he might use the extra time to walk in his students’ shoes for a couple hours a week. What classes are at the top of Smith’s shopping list?

Q Is there a class that you have always wanted to take?

A I have always wanted to sit in on Professor Donald Kagan’s course on Periclean Athens. I regularly teach Thucydides and Plato, but Professor Kagan is one of the world’s leading authorities on the Peloponnesian War and I have always wanted to get his views direct from the horse’s mouth (as it were). I have also heard from generations of students that he is a great lecturer.

Q Is there anything wildly random away from your field of expertise that you find interesting or a class you would take uniquely at Yale?

A I have heard wonderful things about Deb Margolin’s play writing class. I am currently attempting to write a play based loosely on my experience as a college Master but having no real experience in the craft of play writing so taking a class on the subject would be valuable. I would love to take such a class in the future.

There you have it – great Yale classes, direct from the horse’s mouth. For more professors’ top class picks, see the March issue of Yale Daily News Magazine.