Following multiple heavy snowfalls in the last month, Metro-North Railroad has taken half of its rail cars out of service on the New Haven Line and will run fewer trains during weekdays for the foreseeable future, The New York Times reported Tuesday.

Despite the reductions, the new weekday schedule will run more trains than a weekend schedule. The trains’ recent problems have included “frozen breaks, broken motors and malfunctioning doors,” and because many of the trains are more than 30 years old, their electronic systems are inadequate to handle this January’s winter weather, the Times reported.

The new schedules and winter-related delays have crowded trains running on the New Haven line the line, which runs between New Haven’s Union Station and Grand Central Station in New York City. According to the Times:

For weeks, the line’s 67,000 riders, who hail from commuter enclaves like Greenwich, Conn., and Larchmont, N.Y., have had to squeeze into rail cars with barely enough room to stand. Many trains are too packed to board at all. Delays and cancellations are commonplace, and confused crowds have mobbed Grand Central Terminal at rush hour, trying to decipher train schedules that seem to have run amok.

Connecticut commuters have long hoped for the delivery of the new M-8 rail cars, which are in final testing. Recently elected Connecticut Governor Dannel Malloy has indicated he is interested in completing the purchase of the new cars.