Consequences for St. Lawrence Cheap Shot

St. Lawrence forward Sean Flanagan has been assigned a one-game supplemental suspension for his cheap shot on Brian O’Neill ’12 with six seconds to go in Saturday night’s hockey game between the Saints and the Bulldogs, the ECAC announced Monday.

Flanagan tripped O’Neill from behind after the Yale forward scored on an empty net, and a brawl resulted for which the referees assigned the two teams a combined 45 penalty minutes. Those penalties immediately after the fight included a game disqualification for Flanagan, which includes an automatic one-game suspension. The further penalty announced on Monday means that Flanagan will miss a second game.

Flanagan is second among the Saints in scoring, with 24 points. He will miss the team’s games against No. 19 Princeton this Friday and against Quinnipiac this Saturday.

Agostino Honored

Left winger Kenny Agostino ’14 — whose three goals last weekend left him with seven scores in his last seven games — was named ECAC Rookie of the Week in a vote of representatives from each conference team, the conference announced Monday.

Agostino had just one goal and three assists before the holiday break, but has been hot ever since he notched a hat trick and five total points in the Elis’ first game back, against Holy Cross.

Agostino, who now plays alongside Andrew Miller ’13 and Brian O’Neill ’12 on Yale’s second power play unit, leads Yale freshmen in scoring. He is the first Yale skater this year to earn Rookie of the Week honors.

Still No. 1

It’s barely news anymore. Yale remained in the top spot in both national polls for the eighth straight week in the latest USCHO and USA Today hockey rankings, released on Monday.

After sweeping a pair of games against Clarkson and St. Lawrence, the Elis earned 46 of 50 first-place votes in the USCHO poll, and all 34 top votes in USA Today’s ranking.

The four top votes that Yale did not earn went to now No. 2 Boston College. Last year’s national champions — who knocked Yale out of the NCAA tournament in the quarterfinals — displaced former No. 2 North Dakota, which slipped to No. 4 after falling to Nebraska-Omaha over the weekend.

Yale is joined in the rankings by four other ECAC teams. The USCHO poll features Dartmouth at No. 18 and Princeton at No. 19. Both teams Yale plays on the road this weekend are also ranked: Rensselaer Polytechnic is No. 10 in both polls, while Union is No. 13 in the USCHO poll and No. 12 with USA Today.