Today is Monday. Monday classes are meeting today because of Monday’s Martin Luther King, Jr. Day holiday.

Do good on the day. Monday is Dwight Hall’s MLK Day of Service. According to the event’s website, students can volunteer at organizations like New Haven Reads, Cityseed and New Haven Home Recovery.

Yale Law School professor Amy Chua is receiving death threats because of “Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior,” the controversial excerpt from her book “Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother” published in the Wall Street Journal, she told The Daily Beast.

U.S. Senator Richard Blumenthal LAW ’72 visited New Haven Thursday, according to the New Haven Independent. The Senator learned about the Downtown Crossing project and toured places like 300 George St. and Science Park.

Iron Chef approaches. The Yale College Council e-mailed residential college panlists Thursday night requesting submissions for teams of three students. The preliminary competition begins Jan. 23 and the final competition will be held Feb. 24. The grand prize is $1,000.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art announced that Maxwell Hearn ’71 will be the new Douglas Dillon Curator in Charge of the Department of Asian Art, the museum announced Tuesday. He will take over when James C. Y. Watt, who currently holds the position, retires in June.

Chemistry professor Jonathan Ellman did indeed sleep in his office Tuesday night. He told the News in an e-mail that he brought an air mattress to work because he heard the College rarely canceled classes. “A shower is located in the chemistry complex, so this really isn’t much of an inconvenience,” he said.

A new Biodesign Institute on West Campus will open in early 2012, Yale announced in a press release Thursday. The institute will be housed in the B-24 building at West Campus and integrate biology and engineering to explore how nanoscale living and material systems work.

The Golden Globes are Sunday night. Yalie James Franco GRD ’16 is up for Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture — Drama for “127 Hours.”

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1943 General Manager of the Service Bureau William W. Randolph ’24 says Yale will not be affected by an oil shortage because the University’s three main heating plants use soft coal.

YALE DAILY NEWS