Though most eyes will be on the football team this weekend, the women’s basketball team will be in New Haven, focusing on their Saturday night home opener against the University of Delaware.

The Elis (1–1) have split their first two games of the season. After escaping with a 74–71 win over Holy Cross in their season opener last Saturday, the Bulldogs suffered an 83–64 loss at the hands of Boston University on Wednesday night.

“We’ve got to improve on a lot of things, and the game [against B.U.] was great at exposing how far we still have to go,” head coach Chris Gobrecht said. “I think it really exposed some areas that we’ve just not made the progress we’d hoped we had defensively.”

It will not get easier against Delaware (2–0), especially since the Blue Hens boast All-American guard/forward Elena Delle Donne. A highly touted high school recruit, she initially signed to play basketball for UConn, but abruptly dropped out and transferred to Delaware. Delle Donne is averaging 35 points per game for Delaware after scoring a combined 70 points in her first two games this season.

“She presents some huge challenges, and she’s got a good supporting cast,” Gobrecht said. “Everybody plays their roles and feeds off of her capabilities. We just have to do the best we can and be sure that we don’t let too many other Delaware players hurt us.”

The Blue Hens have started their season with an unblemished record and are coming off a 69–62 win over Villanova on Tuesday.

Delaware also recently climbed nine spots up to No. 15 in CollegeInsider.com’s Mid-Major poll.

Guard Megan Vasquez ’13 continues to be the leading scorer for the Elis and is currently averaging 17 points per game. Vasquez and captain Yoyo Greenfield ’11 are also both averaging a team-best four assists per game. Forward Mady Gobrecht ’11 has been strong on the boards for Yale and is averaging 6.5 rebounds per game.

This is the first time in coach Gobrecht’s six seasons at Yale that the Bulldogs have played Delaware.

Tip-off is slated for 7 p.m. at the John J. Lee Amphitheatre.