When election results trickle in starting in just a few hours, keep an eye on a handful of Yale grads seeking major political office.

Here in Connecticut, Democrat Richard Blumenthal LAW ’73 is vying against Republican Linda McMahon for Christopher Dodd’s seat in the U.S. Senate. A trio of Yale Law School grads are running for Senate across the nation, as well.

In one of the night’s most hotly-contested Senate races, Joe Miller LAW ’95, a Tea Party-backed Republican from Alaska, is facing off against Democrat Scott McAdams and incumbent Sen. Lisa Murkowski. Polling once showed Miller with a substantial lead, but in the last few days Murkowski has surged; one poll even showed Miller dropping to third place.

Meanwhile, in Colorado, Democrat Michael Bennet LAW ’93, a former Editor-in-Chief of the Yale Law Journal, is in the fight of his political life just two years after it began. Appointed by President Barack Obama to replace outgoing Senator Ken Salazar (Obama’s choice to serve as Secretary of the Interior), polls have consistently shown Bennet’s race against republican Ken Buck to be a nailbiter.

Possibly the most famously “Yale” of the trio, though, is Democrat Chris Coons LAW ’92 DIV ’92, whose opponent, Tea Party rockstar Christine O’Donnell, attacked him for going to Yale and inheriting millions.

In California, Democrat Jerry Brown LAW ’64 has recently pulled ahead over his republican opponent Meg Whitman, the former Chief Executive Officer of eBay.

And in the Pacific Northwest, former Bulldogs basketball star and Republican Chris Dudley ’87 is embroiled in a back-and-forth race against Democrat John Kitzhaber — some polls in the past week have shown Dudley with a lead, while others show Kitzhaber pulling ahead.