Saturday’s game was filled with missed opportunities for the Yale women’s soccer team.

Despite outshooting Cornell (6-6, 1-3 Ivy) 15-5, the Bulldogs (5-7-1, 1-3) fell 1–0 to the Big Red at Berman Field in Ithaca. It was the team’s third league loss of the season, and with a big shot advantage favoring the Elis, it was probably the most painful.

“The only two points I talked about — outworking them and finishing our chances — we didn’t do either,” coach Rudy Meredith said. “I didn’t think the team showed up to play in the first half. I thought their defense was outworking our offense, so we had to change that in the second half.”

Maneesha Chitanvis scored the lone goal of the game at 14:24 to give Cornell the 1-0 edge. Though the Elis launched 11 shots in the second half, they could not get past Big Red goalie Megan Bartlett. Bartlett totaled six saves in the contest, including two clutch saves in the last 10 minutes of the game to seal the first league win for Cornell.

However, Miyuki Hino ’12 said she believes the loss was due more in part to the Bulldogs’ failure to take advantage of scoring chances than to the Big Red defense.

“I don’t think anyone watching the game today would have said that [Cornell controlled the game],” Hino said. “I can’t remember a shot they took besides the one they scored. It’s fresh in my mind that we dominated the game, and we just didn’t finish. That’s all it came down to.”

With the loss, the Elis dropped to seventh place in the Ancient Eight standings, dampening the team’s hopes for an Ivy League championship. Princeton and Harvard also suffered losses over the weekend, and a win would have kept the Bulldogs in the mix for the title. It was “a double whammy,” according to Meredith.

“We shot ourselves in the foot, because all the results that we wanted to happen happened today,” Meredith said. “I mean, we still have a chance mathematically, but I don’t see other teams losing three games. We put ourselves in a big hole.”

The team will attempt to dig themselves out of the hole starting Tuesday, when they return home after four straight road games to host Holy Cross in a non-league matchup. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. at Reese Stadium.