The Yale Concert Band is combining music with graphics, paintings and works of literature for its 2010-’11 academic year debut tonight.

“Projections: Pictures at an Exhibition” is a multimedia performance that seeks to combine sensory perceptions. Graphics and images inspiring and inspired by the pieces will be projected in the hall as the band performs.

“You can really augment the music of the concert with the visuals,” said Kate Carter ’12, a clarinettist for the band. “Having these art forms put together makes [the music] more accessible for the audience.”

Six pieces will be performed at the concert, including an original composition by Stephen Feigenbaum ’11, “Rooms by the Sea,” based on an eponymous painting by 20th century American realist Edward Hopper on display in the Yale University Art Gallery.

“Max the King!,” a composition by Director of University Bands Thomas Duffy, will provide a musical setting for the adventures of Max from Maurice Sendak’s “Where the Wild Things Are.”

Other pieces to be performed include Pictures at an Exhibition, a classical orchestral piece based on sketches by Victor Harmann and Ziggurat by Viet Cuong, for which Grace Needlman ’11 has commissioned an accompanying graphic display.

The 7:30 p.m. concert in Woolsey Hall is free and open to all students.