Peruvian President Alan Garcia demanded on Monday that Yale return Inca artifacts “looted” from the ancient site of Machu Picchu and currently housed in New Haven. “Now is the time to start packing up the things and send them over together with the research,” Garcia said, according to Reuters. “Silence would indicate that [Yale is] guilty of robbery.” For more, see the Cross Campus blog.

You’ve got hell to pay. In his “Catholicism: The First Millennium” lecture Monday, history professor Carlos Eire warned students that next week’s midterm will be subject to a special kind of honor code. “I believe in hell,” Eire quipped. “So if you cheat, that’s your problem.”

Following Friday’s announcement that Yale’s endowment returned 8.9 percent in the 2010 fiscal year, Stanford University posted its investment returns Monday, outpacing Yale with a 14.4 percent increase. Stanford’s endowment, now $13.8 billion, is the third-largest in higher education, after Harvard’s and Yale’s.

A master weaver will be teaching a “loom class” this Sunday in the shared basement of Morse and Ezra Stiles colleges. The class, which Morse Master Frank Keil said is available to all Morsels and Stilesians, is expected to be held every Sunday for about the next eight weeks, Keil said.

And then there were … 32? According to Monday’s Branford College Council minutes, 37 people went to the Shop & Stop supermarket in Hamden on a Yale College Council-chartered shuttle on Thursday, but only 32 returned. There was no mention of how the remaining five made it home. The shuttle ran from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Too good to be true? In The New York Times’ review Monday of the Yale Rep’s production of the gothically dysfunctional musical “We Have Always Lived in the Castle,” reviewer Charles Isherwood wrote: “There’s nothing wrong with the new musical … and that’s exactly the problem.”

The designer of the official Yale font, Matthew Carter, 72, who is based in Cambridge, Mass., and is known for his graceful letters and varied mediums, has been named a 2010 MacArthur Fellow. The so-called “genius award” is worth $500,000.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1916 The University establishes the Department of University Health (yes, DUH) to give students access to modern methods of hygiene and medicine. Students could receive physicals at 90 High St., where they were examined for issues such as postural defects and flat feet.