Yale wants its partnership with the National University of Singapore to result in the first college of its kind in Asia, but there might be some competition: New York University, which already has a college in Abu Dhabi, is considering founding another in Asia in the future, an NYU spokesman said Monday. For more on the Yale-NUS initiative, listen to an audio interview at goydn.com/singapore.

Facebook FTW. Yale Dining has agreed to meet with Maddie Oliver ’13, who founded the Facebook group “I would like a salad bar please!” advocating for a return to traditional salad bars. The group had 712 members as of Monday night.

No mug for you! In other dining news, as students received their complimentary stainless steel mugs at lunch in Saybrook on Monday, Master Paul Hudak asked for one of his own. But a dining hall staff member refused Hudak’s request, saying the mugs are for students only.

Mug distribution caused backups in the entries to many college’s dining halls. In Silliman, the lunch swipe line stretched all the way from the door to the college’s staircase.

Puppy love at the law library? A legal blog reported Monday that Yale Law students can check out a brown border terrier mix named Monty for 30-minute stress-relief sessions. But the pup’s owner, access services librarian Julian Aiken, dismissed the rumor in an e-mail to the News.“The idea of circulating a dog at the Yale Law Library is one that has been humorously kicked around,” she said, “but we have not actually proceeded with circulating Monty.”

Thanks to the “Whale,” Yale made Forbes magazine’s Aug. 31 list of the world’s 10 most beautiful colleges. The article says Yale’s campus has more “show-stoppers” — such as Ingalls Rink and Rudolph Hall — than any other school on the list, which also includes Oxford, Princeton and Stanford.

A spiritual journey. Yale’s undergraduate Mormon students’ association, meanwhile, was not permitted to hold its weekly dinner in Timothy Dwight on Sunday due to newly enforced “Family Night” rules. When other colleges also turned the group away, the students found the only dining hall that would take them in — the Slifka Center’s kosher kitchen. The Mormon students had been eating at TD every Sunday night for the past three years.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1978 More than 180 Yale students apply for the roughly 20 spots in the residential college seminar “Television News in America,” taught by NBC correspondent Tom Brokaw.

YALE DAILY NEWS