Although the collegiate Friday-Saturday-Sunday social life has been more developed at Yale than at any college in the country.

Although other students marvel at the excellence of our parties, plays and extracurriculars.

Students at Yale are, for the most part, poorly entertained.

This is not the fault of Facebook; it is chocked with event announcements.

This is not the fault of the Internets; from the Independent Party’s to Toads’, spam chokes our inboxes.

To say with the facile cynic that it is the fault of the students themselves is to beg the question.

Yalies are poorly entertained because IN AN AGE OF CLIQUES AND NICHES, NO PUBLICATION HAS SERVED TO FILL EVERYONE’S WEEKEND.

scene didn’t.

scene was never meant to be permanent. Chosen as a compromise between Arts and Living and Managing editors, the name created an unnecessary sentiment of exclusivity by attempting to define an ideal Yale experience in terms of one group and one setting. scene became cheap jokes about Keystone Light and “QPac” buses; heck, not everything about scene was bad — most of it was good.

But we’re not the kids “on the scene,” we don’t know “the scene” — shit, does Yale even have a “scene”? We’ve never heard of one, and even if it did, we wouldn’t know about it: we sit in a boiling office most nights of the week and read and sleep on the weekend.

It’s clearer now than ever that revolution demands real and serious change, not just tweaks.

So now WEEKEND.

WEEKEND is a weekly supplement, aimed to take students through to Monday. Longer features, tighter content and a WEEKEND ticker that lists and analyzes events that we think you want to know about. WEEKEND is the News’ opportunity to open you up to new or overlooked social opportunities, arts and entertainment activities and perspectives on life — Yale and beyond — that aim to break you out of the forced college routine. It’s a quality supplement for you to read over the weekend. Leave it by your bed, leave it by your bath, leave it by your toilet, clip it and take it with you when you’re deciding what to do on your Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. WEEKEND is not meant to be a quick read at your Friday lunch, but something that you keep with you and digest slowly as you fight off the impending Monday.

Here, writers will continue to bend the constraints of journalism; here, writers can let loose and be free; here, readers will find a space that courts the frank, the unusual and the funny.

WEEKEND won’t be the last improvement of the Friday supplement, but it is certainly the latest. And as we settle into a new form and a new year, expect to see changes that you will like and dislike. Write to us with your thoughts and suggestions at artsandlivingedz@panlists.yale.edu.

But mark you this, WEEKEND will not judge itself by style or content alone — but in HOW MUCH IT GETS OFF ITS PAGES AND INTO THE MINDS OF ITS READERS.