A change is gonna come? Students in Berkeley, Silliman and Timothy Dwight colleges have been asked to fill out a survey by Yale Dining about the new salad and deli bars.

Before the survey began to ask questions, it gave a little explanation:

The salad and deli bar has been a consistent concept for many years but largely unchanged. There have been three main drivers behind this concept; choice, healthy and fresh. However, the key challenge with the previous configuration is that often there is no end in mind. Therefore, the selection of the items and the dressings seldom delivered expected results. Our cold food preparation and ingredients included; fresh lettuce, raw broccoli, cauliflower, corn, peas, olives, carrot sticks, celery sticks, cheese, tomatoes, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, etc. In addition, processed bottled dressings with high levels of refined starches and preservatives topped these ingredients. The cold food preparation was not perceived positively by our students.

We have implemented a new way to provide a selection of composed salads from various world regions and cultures. The featured salads include a selection of greens, roasted vegetables, heirloom grains, and legumes which are flavored with dressings made from scratch using the freshest ingredients. There is also a section available to create a ‘make-your-own’ salad. We are committed to provide nitrate-free, low-sodium, minimally processed meats for sandwiches. Our deli turkey and roast beef is oven roasted by our chefs. These concepts are in the early stage of development and very innovative in the college and university dining programs.

The survey went on to ask for feedback on :

• Variety of Options
  • Flavor and Seasoning
  • Healthiness of Offerings
  • Overall Presentation
  • Overall Food Quality