Several residential college councils banged the proverbial gavel this week to plan another year of screws, socials and study breaks. For students curious about the goings-on beyond the gates of their own colleges, the News is launching a new column covering residential college council meetings. This week, they took on many issues, some weightier than others.

The heaviest agenda of all must go to Davenport College, where members requested that the Pierson-Davenport gym provide more hand weights between one and 20 pounds. Members also discussed replacing the college’s broken hammock. Maybe whoever broke it could do to lift a few of those new weights, or at least stand on a scale, which has also gone missing from the college’s gym. DCC members will collaborate with Pierson College Council to add weights and scales in the near future.

Not as into the cross-courtyard collaboration is Trumbull College Council, which decided not to invite the rest of Yale to its movie night Thursday.

But taking isolationism to a new level is Branford College, whose council is planning a Branford Independence Day for later this year. The event will feature competition between the four classes of Branfordians as it “declares its independence from the lesser colleges,” according to the meeting minutes.

The BCC also amended its constitution to eliminate the council’s “by-laws” committee entirely. Meanwhile, the Saybrook College Council is gearing up for a major review of its by-laws, even though the group’s full by-laws committee, co-chaired by the News’ editor in chief and the Yale College Council’s president, did not know about this effort until Monday.

Davenport Courtyard’s sunflowers, however, are not being held up. Some students raised concerns that the flowers in the college’s garden looked “depressed” and might be in need of support, but members were reassured that this slight bend is just “how they are.”

Getting more than a slight bend, though, will be attendees of a Yoga class in the Calhoun dance studio. The Calhoun College Council’s meeting minutes report that the college will try to organize a class, but no word yet on how it will compare to “DRAM 333: Yoga,” which is, in fact, a real course offered this fall.

YALE DAILY NEWS