It’s the end of the road for Susan Bysiewicz’s ’83 run for Connecticut attorney general.

The Connecticut Supreme Court ruled on Tuesday that Bysiewicz, currently the secretary of the state, is not legally eligible for the office of attorney general.

“While I’m obviously disappointed by the Supreme Court’s ruling, I respect their decision,” Bysiewicz said in a statement. “And while, I’m extremely grateful and honored by the outpouring of support and encouragement that I’ve received, I will not be a candidate for any office in 2010.”

The court’s decision was based on a state law that requires the attorney general to have served at least 10 years in “active practice” of law. While Bysiewicz, a graduate of Duke University School of Law, has been a member of the Connecticut state bar for 24 years, she has only practiced private law in Connecticut for a total of six years.

Tuesday’s ruling overturned a trial court ruling that said Bysiewicz was eligible to run; earlier this month, a Superior Court ruled that her 11 years as secretary of state made her eligible under the law.

A March Quinnipiac University poll showed Bysiewicz leading her nearest opponent by 44 percentage points in the Democratic primary race.

Bysiewicz was originally exploring a run for governor but announced in January that she would run for attorney general, the office currently held by Richard Blumenthal LAW ’73 — who has hit bumps of his own in his bid for Sen. Christopher Dodd’s seat in Congress.