The women’s lacrosse team had a disappointing weekend to end its season, falling to No. 14 Georgetown on Friday night and Ivy opponent Cornell on Sunday.

The Bulldogs (6–9, 3–4 Ivy) knew the Hoyas (9–5, 6–0) would be a tough team to beat, but their second game of the weekend against the Big Red (5–8, 4–3) was a must-win for the team. The 12–5 loss cost the Bulldogs their chance to enter the inaugural Ivy League Tournament.

“I think we went into Georgetown knowing it wasn’t a must-win game, but we still wanted to play well and work on some things we needed to execute at Cornell,” captain and defender Claire Eliasberg ’10 said.

The Bulldogs began the weekend with Senior Night against the Hoyas at Reese Stadium. The Hoyas controlled the game for the first 10 minutes, recording four consecutive goals before attacker Jess Sturgill ’10 stopped the run with a Yale goal at 19:33.

But the Hoyas made sure they maintained the momentum with a goal just two minutes later followed by three more tallies before the end of the half. The Elis were able to score once more before halftime with an eight-meter goal from attacker Kristen Chapman ’13 at 10:14 to make it 8–2 going into the intermission.

The Hoyas continued their momentum in the second half with two goals just two minutes apart six minutes into the half. The Bulldogs produced a surge when attacker Caroline Crow ’12 drove in and scored at 20:13, followed just two minutes later by Sturgill’s 15th goal of the season to make it 10–4.

But that would be the last of the scoring for the Bulldogs on Friday as the Hoyas scored two more quick goals halfway through the second and topped it off with three tallies down the stretch to make it 15–4.

The Elis were back in action Sunday when they traveled to Ithaca, N.Y., to face the Big Red in a do-or-die matchup.

“Our team knew that all our work this year, through conditioning at 6 a.m. and practices in the snow and hail, was going to come down to this game,” Sturgill said. “We played hard, but it just wasn’t our day.”

Cornell jumped to a 2–0 lead within the first five minutes of play before midfielder Kaitlyn Flatley ’11 scored an unassisted goal at 24:46. Big Red attacker Jessi Steinberg scored her third of the day just four minutes later before Sturgill scored the second Bulldog tally. The Big Green then produced a three-goal run before Sturgill scored again at 3:16 to make it 6–3 heading into halftime.

“Going into this weekend our goal was to win today at Cornell,” defender Michele Fiorentino ’10 said. “They were a team we could beat.”

The Bulldogs came out with energy in the second half as attacker Devon Rhodes ’13 scored the first goal of the half nine minutes in. About five minutes later, Steinberg scored her fifth of the game before Sturgill scored off a free position to make it 7–5 halfway through the second. But that would be the last goal for the Bulldogs as Cornell scored five consecutive goals to put them away.

“Losing is never fun but losing in your last career game with the playoffs on the line is especially upsetting,” Fiorentino said.

Even with an ending to the season that consisted of two consecutive losses, the Bulldogs are proud of the progress they have made this season.

“I think we made some tremendous strides this season,” Eliasberg said. “We went from being at the very bottom of the Ivy League last year to putting ourselves in a position to make the Ivy Tournament.”

Looking back on their four years, the seniors hope to have left behind a lasting impression on the team.

“We really showed what teamwork is and what it means to be dedicated and committed to our team and to lacrosse,” Sturgill said. “We have had to overcome a lot in our four years, and have stuck together through highs and lows.”