It was a long, frustrating weekend for the baseball team.

After getting out to a 10–10 start in regular season play, the baseball team lost four games to Dartmouth in two days, including two on Monday, dropping their Ivy League record to 3–9, the worst in the Ancient Eight.

The Bulldogs completed the four-game series in Hanover, N.H., on Monday after a postponement due to rain on Saturday.

“We’re frustrated right now because we know how well we can play as a team and we know what kind of results we can have when we play that way,” second baseman Gant Elmore ’11 said. “We just haven’t been making it happen right now.”

Pitcher Brook Hart ’11 started Monday’s first game with six runs allowed in just two and one-third innings. That put the Elis in a 6–0 hole through the sixth inning and fell 8–2. Hart, who began the season well with a 2–2 record, has seen his numbers drop over the course of the last few weeks. He now has a 4.91 ERA for the season — second on the team.

“I’ve been feeling pretty good out there but I just haven’t been getting the breaks,” Hart said.

The Elis had trouble with Dartmouth leftfielder Jim Wren, who knocked home two RBI in the bottom of the fifth against pitcher Joe Castaldi ’10, who replaced Hart in the third. The only Bulldog runs were scored on a pair of doubles in the top of the seventh. Leftfielder Andrew Moore ’11 doubled in rightfielder Andrew Kolmar ’11 before shortstop Trey Rallis ’11 cashed Moore’s hit in with two outs.

After three tough losses, the Elis made a strong showing against the Big Green in Monday’s second game.

The Bulldogs held a 2–1 lead through the eighth inning, their first lead in the series. Rallis scored in the third on a ground out after singling to center. Later, designated hitter Charlie Neil ’12 reached on a fielders choice before stealing second and scoring on a Moore single to give the Elis the lead.

Yale’s starting pitcher Christopher O’Hare ’13, had better luck than Hart did in the first game, going five and two-thirds innings with just one earned run. It was O’Hare’s first appearance on the mound since Yale’s 6–5 win over Princeton on April 11.

“O’Hare pitched phenomenally for us,” Elmore said. “He was throwing a lot of strikes and getting ahead of hitters. The bounces didn’t go our way this time, but we put ourselves in a position to have a chance to win.”

But the Bulldogs’ success was short lived as they allowed the Big Green to even the score at two when Sam Bean walked and later scored on a single.

The Ivy foes geared up for extra innings with a pair of new hurlers, Greg Lyons ’10 and Big Green closer Ryan Smith each saw one and one-third innings of action.

The Bulldogs recorded three quick outs in the top of the 10th on a pair of strikeouts and a line out to left field.

That was the last chance the Elis had as the home team cashed in on small ball yet again as Sam Bean singled with one out and scored an RBI single two batters later to send the Bulldogs back to New Haven without a win.

Yale head coach John Stuper said he and the team look to keep working hard the next couple of weeks after falling back in conference standings.

The Bulldogs, after losing these four matches, only have two more conference series left in the regular season against Harvard and Brown.

“It’s a game of ups-and-downs and you’re going to have peaks and you’re going to have valleys, and right now we’re stuck in a valley,” Elmore said.