The baseball team’s struggles with Ivy League opponents continued Sunday, when the Bulldogs were swept in their doubleheader at Dartmouth.

The Big Green (15–12, 6–4) shut out the Elis (16–15–1, 3–7 Ivy) 3–0 and then took the second game 7–4, as both teams opened up play in the Rolfe Division of the Ivy League.

“We hit the ball pretty hard, but we didn’t string any hits together and we didn’t have clutch hitting with runners on base,” relief pitcher Robert Gruber ’10 said.

Despite the fact that Yale’s overall record would place them in third in the Ivy League, the Bulldogs’ record against the Ivy League puts them in last place.

“Overall we’re pretty disappointed about [the] standings,” left fielder Andrew Moore ’11 said. “Those numbers don’t reflect how well we started off.”

The two teams were scheduled to play four games over the weekend, but Saturday’s doubleheader against Dartmouth was postponed until Monday afternoon. The team learned of the postponement on Friday, six hours before the Elis were scheduled to drive to Dartmouth. The team instead traveled to the Big Green’s campus on Saturday evening and stayed there overnight on both Saturday and Sunday nights.

In Sunday’s first game, a complete game, 10 strikeout-performance from pitcher Pat Ludwig ’12 was overshadowed by an even more dominant complete game from Dartmouth hurler Robert Young. Young, who had been 1–3 entering the contest, threw seven innings of shutout baseball to earn his second win of the season.

“He was consistently throwing strikes the whole game and didn’t walk anyone,” Moore said of Young. “We put the ball in play a lot — we only had two strikeouts — but we were hitting them right at guys, and we weren’t making the best contact either.”

Dartmouth got its first run of the game in the second inning, as a double to center field was quickly followed by an RBI single through the left side.

Still down 1–0, the Bulldogs had their best chance to score in the top of the fifth inning, when two consecutive singles gave them runners at first and third with two outs. Third baseman Andy Megee ’11 grounded out to the shortstop to end the inning, though.

The Bulldogs reached third base only twice, and both times were with two outs.

The Big Green got insurance runs in both the fifth and sixth innings to put them ahead 3–0. In the fifth, first baseman Jason Brooks doubled to left center and then scored two batters later on a single up the middle. The next inning, a walk, a dropped fly ball, a sacrifice bunt and an RBI single added up to Dartmouth’s third run of the game.

Yale went hitless in the seventh inning, ending with six hits and no walks in the 3–0 loss.

In the second game of the afternoon, the Bulldogs found themselves in a five-run hole after the first inning and were never able to come back.

Vinny Lally ’11 earned his second loss of the season, allowing seven hits, seven walks and seven runs in six and one-third innings.

The Big Green exploded with five runs in the first inning with all five coming off two swings — a three-run home run and a two-run blast.

The Elis earned two runs back in the third inning after a solo homer from right fielder Andrew Kolmar ’11 and a triple from shortstop Matt Schmidt ’12, who would later score.

The teams then alternated runs for the rest of the game. Dartmouth scored in the fourth off an RBI triple to make it 6–2, but the Bulldogs brought the deficit back to three runs after an RBI double from first baseman Trygg Larsson-Danforth ’10 in the sixth.

The Big Green scored in the seventh to increase their lead to 7–3. Yale scored one run in the ninth when Kolmar’s triple knocked in left fielder Charlie Neil ’12, but that was all the Elis could muster.

Dartmouth won last year’s series with Yale 3–1. The teams play today in a doubleheader at Dartmouth that is scheduled to start at noon. Brook Hart ’11 is scheduled to make the first start, but the second starter is still undetermined.

“We’re going to need to work on getting more timely hitting tomorrow so that we can get more runs across,” Moore said.