MEN’S LACROSSE | Attacker Brian Douglass ’11 has been named co-Ivy League Player of the Week coming off a 13-goal weekend against Penn and Detroit Mercy. The Blue (6–2, 1–2 Ivy) recorded wins in both games, and Douglass topped his 2009 goal total in just two days.

Douglass started the weekend off by scoring seven goals in the 16–14 win against Penn —Yale’s first Ivy League victory this season — and then notched another six on Sunday facing Detroit. His efforts marked the two best goal-scoring performances in the conference this season.

“It’s a little bit surreal,” Douglass said of his seven-goal day against Penn. “You don’t really think about it that much in a game — and then it just sort of hits you.”

The junior attacker now has a team-leading 24 goals, after he entered Saturday’s contest with 11 to attacker Matt Gibson’s 12. Douglass also has the second most points on Yale’s squad, with 29 to Gibson’s 32. What’s more, Douglass has already far outstripped the 12-goal total he tallied during 13 games of competition last spring.

“I’m extremely impressed,” head coach Andy Shay said. “Brian works really hard in practice and the attackers are really starting to work together, so I hope he can keep it rolling.”

Douglass and the Elis face off next in an away game against Dartmouth at 1 p.m. Saturday.