Do you want to connect with bored strangers, but fear the wayward genitalia of ChatRoulette? Well, college students now have their own filtered realm of stranger play with randomdorm.com.

The principle remains the same — interface with a randomer and click “next” if you’re bored, disgusted or afraid — but logging in on RandomDorm requires a .edu e-mail address. Because potential chat partners are all currently enrolled in an institution of higher learning, the chances of glimpsing a Norwegian man’s member are statistically reduced.

RandomDorm is another example of a universal Internet service sprouting a more exclusive offshoot. As Stuff White People Like astutely observed, once MySpace became littered with tweens, struggling musicians and cluttered profiles, white people migrated to the closed networks, privacy settings and tidy interface of Facebook, features “analogous to an apartment or house with a security system/doorman, an alumni dinner, and a homeowners association that protects the aesthetics of the neighborhood.”

When Internet dating blossomed in the early 2000s, niche services quickly followed. RightStuffDating.com restricted its membership to Ivy League graduates and faculty to ensure pedigreed cross-pollination. A lot of the most popular dating sites exclude certain undesirables. JDate, OnlineBootyCall and Christian Mingle eliminate gentiles, clingsters and the godless, respectively.

The Internet is an amazing universe populated with diverse and unique individuals. But sometimes those diverse and unique individuals are scary and weird. Never again will a Scandinavian gentleman ask me: “Do you want to see my elephant?” On RandomDorm, a drunk frat boy will probably just whip it out.