W. TENNIS | For the women’s tennis team, the next two weeks will be anything but a vacation.

The Elis (10-2) beat Western Michigan by a score of 6-1 today at the Cullman-Heyman Tennis Center, playing in the first of four matches scheduled over spring break.

“Today went really well,” Vicky Brook ’12 said. “As it was our first match after having had a little break from competition, we were especially conscious of getting off to good starts in our matches, which we did well.”

The Bulldogs won the doubles point and took a 1-0 lead early on thanks to doubles victories from the duos of Brook and Stephanie Kent ’12, as well as Elizabeth Epstein ’13 and Lindsay Clark ’11.

The team’s other five points came from Kent, Brook, Rhee, Epstein and Captain Sarah Lederhandler ’10, who each won their singles matches.

Next, the team will travel to Florida where they will play No. 20 South Florida on Tuesday and Florida International on Saturday. The team has been doing additional strength training over the past two weeks to prepare for their first outdoor matches of the season. Team members have said that Tuesday’s match against South Florida will be particularly challenging.

“We’ve already put in all the hard work for the match on Tuesday vs. South Florida and we can take a lot of confidence from today and the success we’ve had the entire season thus far,” Stevi Petrelli ’11 said. “As long as we execute the fundamentals and play to win then there isn’t a team left on our schedule we can’t beat.”