Levin visits Buckingham Palace. Yale’s president delivered the keynote address at a royal ceremony last week to acknowledge outstanding British educational institutions. One of the honorees was former Yale provost Andrew Hamilton, now the vice-chancellor of the University of Oxford.

New bike lanes on Elm? Elm City Cycling has received approval from the New Haven Transportation, Traffic and Parking Department to gauge public support for bike lanes on Elm Street. For animated 3D simulations of possible designs, click here.

The mayor refuses charity. Mayor John DeStefano Jr. ordered soup at Au Bon Pain on Sunday. When offered the employee discount, he declined, saying, “I’m all set.”

Yale students swept this year’s Atlantic Monthly Student Writing Contest, taking first, second and third place and two honorable mentions. English Department lecturer Fred Strebeigh boasted that over the recent history of the Atlantic contest, work written by Yale students has taken 46 percent of first prizes and 32 percent of all nonfiction awards.

Ward 22 Alderman Greg Morehead held auditions at Caffe Bottega on Friday, looking for another drummer to play with his band, DangerZone, when it performs March 1 with Ludacris on the “Late Show with David Letterman.” Only one person showed up.

An unsustainable ranking. Danish officials are miffed about their ranking in the Environmental Performance Index, released by Yale and Columbia researches Jan. 27. Denmark ranked 32nd, putting it in the same category as the United States.

Christiane Amanpour, CNN’s chief international correspondent, has been named Harvard’s Class Day speaker. Yale’s speaker has yet to be announced.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1966 The admissions office introduces a series of new policies aimed at making the admissions process fairer to students who need financial aid. For the first time, admissions decisions are made solely based on interviews and academic record, and a student’s financial information is withheld from the admissions committee until after a decision is made.

YALE DAILY NEWS