Since its opening in 1963, the marble exterior of Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library has kept hidden Yale’s most obscure texts and invited the speculation of visitors and students alike. Stephen Jones, head of access services at the Beinecke Library, shared with the News some of the most widespread rumors and absurd myths that abound on campus.

MYTH: In the event of a nuclear attack on New Haven, the Beinecke will descend into the ground, acting as a bomb shelter.

FALSE: When the Beinecke Library opened, the United States was at the height of the Cold War. Because many public buildings had fallout shelters, Jones said, this rumor seemed plausible to some. In reality, such a feat would be impossible because an underground stream runs beneath the building.

MYTH: The library’s fire-extinguishing system removes the air from the book stacks in the event of a conflagration, dooming any librarians inside to a slow death by asphyxiation.

MOSTLY FALSE: According to Jones, this legend has a kernel of truth: Instead of water sprinklers that would harm the rare books collections, he said, a combination of halon and Inergen gases would be pumped into the stacks to stop the combustion process, and thus the spread of fire.

“They do lower the percentage of oxygen, but not enough to kill any librarians,” Jones said.

The inner stacks surrounded by glass that house the Beinecke Library’s delicate collections (known to insiders as “the Tower”) are airtight in order to slow the books’ aging process. This presented problems in the mid-1970s when a bookworm infestation could not be addressed with traditional airborne insecticides, Jones said. To solve the problem, the library worked with Yale entomologist Charles Remington, who recommended that the affected books be wrapped in plastic and frozen at minus 33 degrees for three days. The process, which is still used on all of the Beinecke Library’s new acquisitions, took two and a half years to complete, Jones said.

MYTH: The exterior of the building was originally designed to look like a sheet of “Green Stamps” — the iconic trading coupons distributed by grocery stores from the 1930s to the 1980s. To achieve this effect, planners originally intended to use green onyx rather than marble.

FALSE: This rumor seems plausible, as the Beinecke family that provided the funding for the library also founded the Sperry and Hutchinson Company, which distributed the stamps. Though architect Gordon Bunshaft did consider using amber, Jones said, green onyx was never an option and green stamps did not inspire his design. Jones said Yale tour guides often tell visitors this misconception while introducing them to the library.

“I’ve actually met with tour guides and told them not to perpetuate the rumors,” Jones said. “It still happens.”

MYTH: Undergraduates do not have access to the Beinecke Library’s materials.

FALSE: Joe O’Rourke ’12 put this myth best: “For a long time I didn’t realize that the Beinecke had a basement for people to study,” he said. “I almost thought the books in the tower were just for librarians to look at and take out every once in a while.”

Jones said this is the most pervasive myth on campus. In actuality, all students and faculty may use any of the library’s nearly 1 million volumes in the reading room downstairs. Moira Fitzgerald, assistant head of access services at the Beinecke, said the library only restricts the circulation of certain fragile documents such as the popular Voynich manuscript, donated to Yale in 1969, which uses an unknown, undecipherable language and contains illustrations of strange plants and nude women swimming. Images of the manuscript’s pages have been made available online, but Fitzgerald said most of the inquiries she receives are motivated by curiosity, and library staff only allows those for whom the manuscript will advance their academic research to examine it.

• Joe Beineke

Myth: Beinecke is misspelled.

• Nancy Morris

Fact: There are eleven alternative spellings of “Beinecke,” none of them correct! Too amazing not to be true!

• Bladderball2

My father, may he rest in peace, was a construction worker on the building, which he called the “rare book library.” He told me that they searched the world for marble that could be milled to a thickness that would be translucent. He also told me that the entire weight of the façade is balanced on those four great columns.

My father also worked on the construction of the Stiles/Morse complex. Each time I ascend or descend the stairs inside the Co-op, I am reminded that he told me he was particularly involved in their construction.

He also worked on Kline Biology Tower and the Becton Engineering Center.
    Imagine how proud he was when the son of parents, neither of whom graduated high school, was admitted. I remember our trip to the financial aid office, which was then at 451 College Street. I was offered a package that required him to pay $2600 my freshman year (more like $26k in today’s money). He told them flatly, “Sorry, I cannot afford to pay that sum,” which was all too true. We were “slum-jumpers” in New Haven — we would move into one deteriorating neighborhood and, when it became unbearably dangerous, move on to the next one. The financial aid officer asked us to stand by, caucused with his colleagues behind closed doors, and came back: “Ok, with your other scholarships (National Merit, State of Connecticut, Yale Club of New Haven), work study (I would wash dishes in Branford), and a small loan, there will be no charge.”

Thank you, Yale. That single, four-letter word on a resume doesn’t necessarily get you everywhere you want to go, but it never closes a door.

• Guest

You realize, of course, that you are supposed to be *OUTRAGED* that you were *FORCED* to *WORK* when so many of your colleagues were smoking stogies and bathing in bubbly–and that your financial aid is some sort of scarlet letter… You know that, right?

In short: You should be ashamed–and praise be you’re not, fellow brother of The Honorable Company of College Casuals. Praise be you’re not.

• ldffly

I always say thank you myself. But ‘Yale’ always closes doors where I live. lol

• schwabsauce

The adjacent tomb belongs to a different society – I think it’s Book and Snake.

• Pingback: Yale to Reopen Its Renovated Beinecke Rare Book Library()

• Pingback: Jones Design Company Coupon Code | Try new and inovative ideas for Grapic Design()

• Pingback: Calling Out the Norwegians with Author Victor LaValle | Wikipedia Editors()

• Pingback: Perpustakaan Ni Ada Cara Tersendiri Yang Canggih Untuk Elak Kebakaran - Saja Kongsi()

• Pingback: Calling Out the Norwegians with Author Victor LaValle - Signature Reads()