The women’s basketball team faced the best and worst of the Ivy League this weekend, and the results went as expected.

The Bulldogs (7–11, 2–2 Ivy) defeated Penn (1–16, 0–3) 58–51 on Friday night at the Palestra in Philadelphia before losing at first-place Princeton (15–2, 3–0) 69–48 the next day.

“Every Ivy League win is important,” head coach Chris Gobrecht said. “People don’t realize how tough it is to play in the Ivy League.”

At Penn, the Elis forced 21 turnovers and out-rebounded the Quakers by six, including 10 offensive rebounds, to earn their first Ivy League road win against a struggling Penn team.

“We were happy we won the game,” guard and captain Ashley Carter ’10 said. “But we were expecting to win that game.”

Yale started the game with a solid first half, including a 14–1 run midway through the half, to take a 26–16 lead. The Quakers, however, battled back to cut the lead to 45–41 with 5:13 remaining. The Bulldogs responded with a jumper from forward Mady Gobrecht ’11 and a layup from forward Michelle Cashen ’12 to start a key 7–2 run from which Yale never looked back.

Guard Megan Vasquez ’13 led all players with 16 points on 6-for-11 shooting in what Gobrecht, the coach, described as her best overall game of the season. Mady Gobrecht (the coach’s daughter) contributed a balanced effort with seven points, nine rebounds, and five assists. Guard Yoyo Greenfield ’11 added 14 points on 4-for-8 shooting.

The next day, the Bulldogs traveled in Princeton to take on their first-place rivals.

“We get fired up to play Princeton,” Chris Gobrecht said. “We had beaten them last season.”

But the Elis were unable to come out strong, going 2-for-10 in the first eight minutes as Princeton grabbed a 14–6 lead. The Tigers maintained their lead, entering halftime with a 28–17 lead.

Yale battled back in the second half — led by Greenfield who hit three three-pointers — to cut the lead to seven at 34–27 with 15 minutes to play. A series of Yale turnovers helped the Tigers make a late 17–0 run to seal the win.

“Our defense played well for most of the game,” Carter said. “Princeton just had a big run.”

Princeton led by as many as 27 in the second half before winning by 21.

“When you’re playing hard on defense, it can break your back to give up points on turnovers,” Coach Gobrecht said.

Princeton turned 20 Bulldog turnovers into 22 points during the game.

Greenfield led the scoring for the Bulldogs with 11 points on 4-for-8 shooting, including 3-for-6 from behind the arc. Guard Haywood Wright ’10 added 10 points on 3-for-5 shooting.

Greenfield shot a combined 8-for-16 over the weekend, including 5-for-10 from downtown.

“I was trying my best to help my team win,” Greenfield said. “I was happy to see my shot fall. It obviously feels good when that happens.”

Up next for the Elis are the Cornell Big Red (5–12, 0–4) on Friday at 7 p.m. and the second-place Columbia Lions (12–6, 3–1) on Saturday at 6 p.m. Both games will be played at the John J. Lee Amphitheater.