Updated, Jan. 31, 3:36 p.m. Scott Robinson, a former member of the class of 2011, died at his home in East Amherst, N.Y., Morse College Master Frank Keil said in a e-mail to the college Saturday night.

Robinson withdrew from Yale in December of 2008, Keil said. He called Robinson a “good friend of many in Morse” and a gifted writer. According to his Facebook profile, Robinson was a literature and English major.

Robinson’s freshman year roommate, Will Robles ’11, said Robinson was a bright student and avid about literature. Robles said he and Robinson, both English majors, had many “deep conversations” about books.

“He’s read Hamlet more times than I can count,” Robles said. “He has an eye for Shakespeare like very few people I’ve met in my life.”

Robles added that Robinson had a committed relationship with his girlfriend, Lexie Hare, a student at Binghamton University.

After leaving Yale, Robinson worked at a nursing home and did not tell his friends why he decided to leave Yale in the middle of his sophomore year, Robles said.

Robinson last visited New Haven last November, when he and his friends got together for dinner and walked around campus.

“We were joking like good old times and having fun.” Robles said. “You could see the spark in his eyes — that he really enjoyed being back on campus.”

Robles said Robinson appeared physically healthy during the visit.

While at Yale, Robinson participated in Crotonia, an undergraduate literary society, and wrote for Point, a undergraduate literary magazine founded in 2008.

Rosanna Oh ’10, who knew Robinson through Crotonia and poetry workshops at Yale, said he was a talented writer and poetry critic.

“He wrote vividly about his hometown Buffalo, about himself, about things his peers didn’t know anything about,” Oh said. “He wrote distinctive and well-crafted language which probed at the centers of his subjects.”

While Robinson’s family has not yet made plans for services, Keil said he and Morse College Dean Joel Silverman are available to talk with students.