Ten years ago, Y2K was the talk of the wired world. The World Wide Web was picking up speed, and the News joined in with an expanded online presence. Since then, terrorists attacked Washington, DC, and New York; Yale approved and then delayed its plans to build two new residential colleges; the endowment grew from $10 billion to $23 billion and then fell back to $17 billion; and the presidency passed from a Yalie to the first African American to hold the office. To look back, the News presents some of our most important, and most read, stories from the past 10 years.

Also, check out our Yaledailynews.com photography retrospective on the Cross Campus blog.

SEPT. 9, 2000
Branford dining woes continue
Two months into the school year, the Branford College dining hall was still not fully operational. With construction hang-ups all over the college, the second of the 12 to be renovated, students were up in arms.

SEPT. 12, 2001
Shock of nation’s worst terrorist attack ripples through stunned campus
The Yale community held a series of vigils, drawing thousands of students trying to cope with the attacks at the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. But many students remained stunned, as they had throughout a wrenching day.

FEB. 14, 2002
Former Saybrook master gets 15 years in federal prison
Former Saybrook College Master and geology professor Antonio C. Lasaga was sentenced in U.S. District Court in Hartford to 15 years in federal prison on two child pornography counts.

SEPT. 18, 2003
Yale, unions reach accord; three-week strike to end
After 19 months of negotiations and a 23-day strike, Yale and union leaders reached tentative agreements on eight-year contracts for nearly 4,000 workers.

NOV. 29, 2004
Elis outsmart Harvard with prank at Game
When the Harvard students, faculty and alumni held up their pieces of paper — over and over again — they spelled out “We Suck” in giant block letters the whole stadium could read.

SEPT. 13, 2005
Big Easy students settle in
In the wake of Hurricane Katrina, Yale agreed to admit qualified students to non-degree and special student programs. Ten students from Tulane and one from the University of New Orleans took Yale classes free of charge.

APRIL 22, 2006
Hu ends U.S. trip with campus speech
Chinese President Hu Jintao ended his first visit to the United States with a speech at Yale, where he spoke on China’s strategy for peaceful economic development, as more than 1,000 demonstrators gathered at sites across campus.

JUNE 6, 2007
Feds arrest dozens of illegal immigrants in New Haven raids
The Department of Homeland Security conducted an early morning raid of undocumented immigrants in New Haven, arresting dozens and prompting city officials to decry what they believed to be federal retaliation for the city’s approval of the first-in-the-nation municipal ID program.

APRIL 17, 2008
For senior, abortion a medium for art, political discourse
Aliza Shvarts ’08 claimed her senior art project documented a nine-month process during which she artificially inseminated herself “as often as possible” while periodically taking abortifacient drugs to induce miscarriages.

SEPT. 14, 2009
Female body found at 10 Amistad St.
Five days after Annie Le GRD ’13 was last seen, authorities found what they believed to be her body behind a basement wall in the Yale research facility at 10 Amistad St.