The trailer for Ridley Scott’s rendition of Robin Hood is out, and it looks … well, it looks like what you would expect if Ridley Scott made Robin Hood.

In typical action movie trailer fashion, the trailer doesn’t really convey any information about plot, major characters, et cetera, and it featured some very dramatic music, some snippets of bad guys attacking in slo-mo and some very grandiose dialogue.

To be honest, Ridley Scott hasn’t really done very much for me since “Gladiator.” “Black Hawk Down” was entertaining and sporadically moving, “Kingdom of Heaven” seemed like it was made on Ridley Scott autopilot, “A Good Year” was awful and “American Gangster” was too long. I didn’t see “Body of Lies,” and I don’t know a lot of people who did.

So why do I hold out hope for “Robin Hood”? Because Scott is returning to the winning formula of Russell Crowe + A Long Time Ago + Killing People = AWESOME. Hopefully he will thrill us; at the very least, he will have every bro you know quoting lines like “Rise, and rise again until lambs become lions.”

In my humble opinion, the odds are not in Scott’s favor; Robin Hood has been done too many times for anyone to really enthrall us with a new rendition, and Scott’s attempt seems like it may be a gimmick.

But I guess we’ll have to wait until May 14, 2010 to find out. Judging from the trailer, this is going to be one to see on the big screen.