Sterling Professor of Classics and History Donald Kagan is in fair condition after being taken by ambulance to Yale-New Haven Hospital Thursday. Kagan fell on the stairs of William L. Harkness Hall on his way to his final “Introduction to Ancient Greek History” lecture.

Five of Kagan’s students, led by Jack Bisceglia ’12 and Chris Eubank ’12, had made shields spelling out his name, which they intended to display during a standing ovation at the end of the lecture.

Many Yale students woke up Thursday morning to find a fake e-mail appearing to be from Yale Police Department Chief James Perrotti. The e-mail warned that “five rhesus monkeys escaped from the neurochemical research laboratory of the Child Study Center.”

ITS responded with its own e-mail, describing the first as “phony” and saying it had blocked the message from being delivered to anyone else. Deputy Secretary Martha Highsmith, who is in charge of campus security, said the pranksters, if identified, would be disciplined.

But the monkey shenanigans continued throughout the day. At 12:30 p.m., a student dressed in a monkey suit appeared on Cross Campus, and other students in white suits ran after him and dragged him away. Apes also appeared in Commons and at least two classes.

Get them while they’re hot. General admission tickets for tonight’s Yale-Quinnipiac hockey game have been sold out since Wednesday, but 290 seats remain for students. Tickets for the Q-Pac game, as well as for Saturday’s game against Princeton, are available at the Yale Bookstore.

A Yale man, full-frontal. Gabriel Hernandez ’07 is one of the models photographed fully naked in this fall’s issue of Diamond, a magazine featuring nude pictures of Ivy Leaguers. The magazine is the brainchild of Matt Di Pasquale, a 2009 graduate of Harvard College.

A visual protest held in Memorial Hall by Students Against New Coal on Thursday showcased student-produced photographic petitions calling on Stephen Schwarzman ’69 to stop funding the largest coal project in the United States. Schwarzman, a former professor in the School of Management, is the CEO of Blackstone Group, a major private equity firm.

This day in Yale history

1955 Track coach Bob Giegengack is selected to serve as an assistant coach for the U.S. Olympic track team at the 1956 Summer Olympic Games in Australia.