Bill would extend employment benefits

Connecticut workers will have an additional 14 weeks of unemployment benefits if President Barack Obama signs legislation the House of Representatives passed Thursday. The Senate also passed the bill, which Conn. Sen. Chris Dodd co-authored, on Thursday. The bill also for the first time extends homebuyer’s tax credit to cover individuals who have previously purchased and lived in a home for at least five years. The extension means that more than 70 percent of current homeowners will be eligible for the program should they wish to purchase a new home.

—Yale Daily News

Halloween revelry yields at least 52 crimes across city

Local residents were accused with committing dozens of crimes last weekend during Halloween. From Oct. 30 to Nov. 1, police responded to 52 crimes, including 10 unlawful firearms discharges and 15 auto thefts, according to a press release issued by New Haven police spokesman Joseph Avery this week.

—Colin Ross

Supreme Court denies Bridgeport church appeal

The U.S. Supreme Court has denied an appeal by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Bridgeport to keep its records sealed in a sexual abuse case. The actual case was settled in 2001, at which time the court sealed the Diocese’s personnel files. But several newspapers have since tried to access the files to investigate how retired Cardinal Edward Egan handled allegations of abuse when he was Bridgeport’s bishop. The diocese had argued that the opening the files would divulge private information not relevant to the case and that the 1st Amendment protects against state interference in the internal affairs of religious organizations.

—Colin Ross

Science Park employees finally need to park in garage

The New Haven Board of Aldermen approved an order from Ward 22 Alderman Greg Morehead that establishes a parking zone for residents only around Yale’s 25 Science Park. Morehead said at the Board of Aldermen meeting Thursday that residents have complained to him that they cannot find parking spots.

—Esther Zuckerman

THE YALE DAILY NEWS
COLIN ROSS
ESTHER ZUCKERMAN