The funeral for Andre Narcisse ’12 will be held Saturday, Nov. 7, in Merrick, N.Y. A visitation will begin at 9 a.m. and will last until the service begins at 11 a.m. Branford College will provide bus service for students who wish to attend.

Seeing pinstripes. About 15 students gathered Wednesday night in Berkeley’s Mendenhall Room to watch the sixth game of the World Series, which the Yankees won 7-3. Michael Kurland ’12 said most of the crowd, except for one token Phillies fan, celebrated the game’s result.

Shout-out from Obama. One year after his election, President Barack Obama called Wednesday for a “national mission” to improve education. In a speech in Madison, Wisc., Obama praised New Haven educators and city leaders for coming together to find a smarter way to evaluate teachers and turn around low-performing schools.

Franco frenzy! More than a thousand students applied for tickets to today’s Berkeley College Master’s Tea, co-sponsored by the Yale Film Society, featuring Hollywood heartthrob James Franco. But only 180 students secured places. As a consolation for those left out, several films directed by Franco will be screened at 7 p.m., followed by a Q&A session with the actor at the Loria Center.

Franco also had a special message for all those students who weren’t lucky enough get a space at the Tea. In an e-mail, the Berkeley College Master’s Office told students Franco “sends his love and regrets.”

brb gtg save $$$. A study co-authored by economics professor Dean Karlan found that text messages might help save you money. When banks sent out text message reminders to their clients, savings balances increased 6 percent, the study shows.

Margaret Grey, dean of the School of Nursing, has been reappointed to a second five-year term, beginning next July. In her first term, Grey established a Ph.D. program and reached the school’s capital campaign goal.

Getting the big picture. An installation of 34 aerial photographs by Robert B. Haas ’69 is on display in the Robert B. Haas Family Arts Library. Sixteen photographs will remain on display in the library, and 18 will be shown on the lower floor until December.

This day in Yale history

1968 New Haven Democrats sweep the congressional and state elections despite Richard Nixon taking the White House. Democratic Town Chairman Arthur Barbieri said he was “really surprised” at the outcome.