Demolition proceeds. Only a piece of the facade of Hammond Hall is still standing after the building has been torn down to make room for the new residential colleges. Hammond Hall, formerly the Hammond Metallurgical Laboratory, was completed in 1904 and was used to house faculty offices and sculpture studios beginning in 1970.

YSO stole the show. Pierson College’s highly anticipated Halloween dance party, Inferno, was planned to go until 1 a.m., but the music was turned off by approximately 12:30 a.m because most of the revelers had gone off to see the Yale Symphony Orchestra Halloween Show by then. An hour earlier, police had turned students away from the party because the Pierson dining hall was at capacity.

But some at Woolsey faced the same fate. Fire marshals turned several ticket holders away from the YSO Halloween Show on Saturday night. Most were later directed upstairs to the balconies, but at one point there were dozens of empty seats in the orchestra level. Organizers now believe the decision was premature, but said at the time that the hall was too full and that students were standing in the aisles.

Men and women fling it to first place. The Yale Ultimate Frisbee Team hosted its annual Fall Tournament this past weekend. The Yale men’s and women’s teams each won the tournaments in their respective divisions.

Good swine flu news: New Haven’s schools are posting 90 percent attendance rates, far better than neighboring towns’ schools, suggesting the flu has yet to spread significantly to New Haven. See story, page 5.

According to a Chronicle of Higher Education survey published Sunday, University President Richard Levin in fiscal year 2008 made more than 25 percent less than Shirley Ann Jackson, the president of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, who at $1.6 million made the greatest amount of total compensation that year for any leader of a private college.

Where there’s smoke, there’s …? New Haven police raided an indoor marijuana grow-house in Westville on Friday afternoon. Firefighters discovered the operation after responding to a small electrical fire near the building. Police seized more than 200 plants and over 47 pounds of bud.

This day in Yale history

1969 The News won its 91st consecutive victory in bladderball, 588–0–0–0, carried to victory with the chant, “Power to the people; freedom to the press.” The game ended when campus police took the ball away in a flatbed truck.